In a past visit to Barnes & Nobles, I picked up a small cookbook of muffins and cupcakes and have been working my way through the recipes recently. The recipes are all simple, and the pictures make you tempted to start baking! It is my type of cookbook!
I made this muffin over the week and they are delicious. They are sweet and chocolatey without being overpowering. Especially, right out of the oven! I wish that I could eat all of them warm with the chocolate still melted! My boyfriend has a favorite list of the dishes I cook (it is a list that we can never seem to keep track of) and these muffins made it to his list. I already see myself making these again soon.
Makes 12 muffins
1 1/4 sticks butter, softened
1 cup superfine sugar
1 1/2 cups plain yogurt
1 tablespoon instant coffee mixed with 1 tablespoon boiling water
2 1/2 cups all-purpose flour
2 1/1 teaspoons baking powder
3/4 cup semisweet chocolate chips
4 tablespoons butter, melted
2 tablespoons unsweetened cocoa powder
2 tablespoons brown sugar
1. Preheat oven to 400 degrees. Fill a muffin tray with muffin lines.
2. Make the cocoa swirl by combining the melted butter with the cocoa powder and brown sugar. Set aside.
3. In a large bowl, use an electric mixer to beat the butter and sugar until fluffy, Beat in the eggs, one at a time. Then add the yogurt and coffee mixture.
4. In a small bowl sift the flour and baking powder and stir together. Add it to the wet mixture and stir until just combined. Fold in the chocolate chips.
5. Spoon mixture into the muffin tins. Spoon the coca swirl on top of each muffin and mix it into the muffin with a skewer.
6. Bake for 25-30 minutes until the center is fully cooked.