Thursday, February 9, 2012

Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Cannied Pecans, and Oranges

I realized that I had 3 random boxes of quinoa sitting around and no recollection of when I bought them.  I think that this says a lot about me: I want to try different food and eat healthier but I tend to get stuck following the same pattern and I have trouble breaking out of it. Oh yeah, and the other thing this says is that I have way too much food in my pantry and I need to finish some!  

Now back to the quinoa, I wanted to experiment and start making new versions of the same basic salad that I usually eat with ingredients that I had available.  I combined quinoa and avocado for a base, the mandarine oranges to add sweetness, and the lettuce and pecans for texture and crispiness.  The salad was really good and was more filling then I had expected.  I think that it is a good starting point and that I will experiment with different ingredients and dressings.





Quinoa Salad with Avocado, Cannied Pecans, and Oranges
Makes 4 portions

1/2 cup quinoa
1 cup water
1/2 avocado, chopped
1/2 cup madarine oranges, cut in half
1/2 cup romaine lettuce, chopped
1/2 cup candied pecans (see recipe here)

For the salad dressing:

1 tablespoon olive oil
1 tablespoon fresh lemon juice
1 tablespoon balsamic vinegar

1.  Rinse and drain the quinoa in cold water before cooking.

2. In a pot, combine the quinoa and water and bring to a boil.  Reduce the flame and cover the pot.  Simmer to quinoa until all of the water is absorbed, 10 to 15 minutes.

3.  Once the quinoa is sufficiently cooled, transfer to a large bowl and toss in the other ingredients.

4.  Combine all of the ingredients for the salad dressing in a small bowl and mix them well.  Pour the salad dressing over the quinoa and toss until well combined.

Enjoy!

Rona

5 comments:

  1. oh yum, that looks delish and so healthy, thanks for sharing!

    Just Tututiny

    ReplyDelete
  2. I've always been afraid of quinoa for some reason. I think it's the fear of the unknown, since I've never cooked with it before. But this - I could totally get behind. :) ~Megan

    ReplyDelete
  3. This looks so yum! I was just looking at my pantry today and realized I need to use up some quinoa too!

    ReplyDelete
  4. I am REALLY bad about using up pantry ingredients also. And I'm ALWAYS buying more even though I have plenty! Maybe I just need to make a hefty delicious salad like this with them!

    ReplyDelete
  5. This looks amazing! I haev some quinoa in the pantry at the moment too.

    x
    Michelle
    www.michellesstylefile.blogspot.com
    GIVEAWAY

    ReplyDelete

Thank you for your comments! We love reading them and we will do our best to respond to everyone who comments!